What To NOT Put in the Microwave!!

Whirlpool Appliance Repair In order to avoid a Whirpool appliance repair for your microwave oven, we’ve put together a list of a few items you should NEVER place in your microwave. All of these items are likely to cause harm to your microwave, leading to malfunction and repair costs.

Tin Foil: Although some thick metal may be able to withstand the electric waves of your microwave, thinner metal such as tin foil will not be able to withstand the heat, leading to major fires and damage to your appliances.

Plastic: While certain plastics are microwave-ready, several plastics will likely melt or warp under excessive heat. This includes Styrofoam cups, thin plastic Tupperware, and smaller plastic plates. Not only may these plastic materials melt in your microwave, but they may emit harmful chemicals into the air and do long term damage to your appliance. Always check for a “microwave-safe” label.

Sponges: Many people think microwaving a sponge can help disinfect it and kill any harmful bacteria that builds up. However, the reality is that you will probably end up setting your sponge on fire, leaving burn marks throughout your entire microwave oven.

Fruits & Vegetables: So you want to microwave your grapes and turn them into raisins? That would be a brilliant idea if fruits weren’t so highly flammable under microwave rays. If a grape splits in the microwave, it is likely to spark and cause a large fire. Vegetables are equally as dangerous, with carrots, broccoli, and celery often exploding in the microwave and causing long lasting damage.

Leave a Reply